Mount Clemens - Services - PublicServices

Public Services

Contact Information

Jeffrey Wood, Public Services Director
Department of Public Services
City of Mount Clemens
95 Eldredge Street
Mount Clemens, MI 48043


Phone: (586) 469-6847
Fax: (586) 469-5363

View Snow Emergency/Winter Snow Removal Information

The Department of Public Services maintains all of the major and local streets within the City of Mount Clemens including the maintenance of all of the City parks and City parking lots.

Under the supervision of the Public Services Director, the DPS consists of:

  • The Animal Control Division
  • The Street Department (surface maintenance, winter maintenance, leaf pickup, forestry, alley maintenance, and the City’s downtown maintenance (including the beautiful Christmas decoration display)
  • The Parking System (including meter enforcement)
  • The Sanitation Department (refuse pickup, compost pickup, and the curbside recycling program)
  • The Traffic Control Division
  • The City’s Parks Division
  • The City’s Motor Pool (Fleet Maintenance Division)


Animal Control

Animal Complaints

Phone: (586) 469-6847

Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Sheriff’s Office - (586) 469-5151

Macomb County Animal Shelter Adoption Program.

The Animal Control Division is responsible for enforcing City ordinances pertaining to animals. In addition to enforcement, this division also responds to situations involving dog and/or animal bites, animal cruelty complaints, deceased and/or hit animals and stray animals.

Dog Bites

Tips for Preventing and Avoiding Dog Bites:

  • Spay or Neuter your dog. Dogs that have not been spayed or neutered are three times more likely to bite than those who have been spayed or neutered.
  • Train and socialize your dog so that he or she is comfortable with being around people. This includes friends, neighbors, and children.
  • If you don’t know how your dog will react to a new situation, be cautious. When an unfamiliar person comes to the door, be sure to safely restrain your dog.
  • Don’t pet a dog, including your own dog, without letting him see and sniff you first.
  • Don’t disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
  • If a dog attacks, you may be able to decrease injury by “feeding” him your jacket, purse, or anything else that can serve as a barrier between you and the dog.

If your animal has bitten a human being, the owner must notify Animal Control of the incident.

Following the bite, the animal has to be quarantined for 10 days by one of the following methods:

  • The Animal Control Officer may, at his discretion, quarantine the animal at the Macomb County Animal Shelter at the expense of the animal owner or
  • The owner can have the animal quarantined at his own expense at a veterinary clinic or a licensed and approved animal kennel or
  • The animal may be confined to the owner’s premises in a fenced-in yard or pen, in the owner’s home. It shall be the decision of the Animal Control Officer to which of the above methods shall be followed and in any case the animal is to be kept from having any direct contact with any other animal or persons other than the owner and his family.


  • In cases where the animal has not been vaccinated for rabies, you must wait 10 days (the quarantine period) before a vaccination can be given. If an animal is taken to a veterinarian for any reason during the quarantine period, he must be advised that the animal is in quarantine and the Animal Control Officer must be advised of any treatment given.
  • If you observe the animal is getting ill or notice a change in its original disposition during the quarantine period, call the Mount Clemens Animal Control Department immediately.
  • IMPORTANT – Do not under any circumstance do the following before the ten (10) day quarantine period has passed:

-Kill the animal

-Dispose of it in any manner

-Remove from the premises without first obtaining the permission of the Animal Control Officer

Lost Dogs/Cats

Mount Clemens takes all stray animals to the Macomb County Animal Shelter. You may contact them at 586-469-5115. If an animal is licensed and wearing tags, the owner will be notified that the pet has been found.

Animal Control Ordinance 35.210 requires that:

  • ALL DOGS AND CATS MUST BE LICENSED by January 1st of each year. A current RABIES vaccination certificate WITH EXPIRATON DATES must be presented for either species in order to obtain a license.
  • A household may have a total of four (4) dogs or cats, or a combination of both totaling (4).
  • ALL DOGS OR CATS MUST WEAR LICENSE TAGS when outside a building or residence or otherwise outdoors.
  • All dogs and cats shall be kept under restraint (leashed) and NOT PERMITTED TO BE AT LARGE.

DOGS AND CATS MUST BE LICENSED even if they never leave the house.


Help Your Dog Beat the Heat

The Summer heat can affect your dog as much as it can you. Use the same rules you would with your child. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOG IN A CAR UNATTENDED. On an 85-degree day, the temperature inside your car, even with the windows down a bit, will climb to 102-degrees in just 10 minutes. Within 30 minutes, it can reach 120-degrees. On a 90-degree day, the temperature in a car can reach 160-degrees in less time than it would take you to walk around a normal city block. Play it safe with your pets. If the temperatures are high and you’ve got some errands to run, leave your dog at home.

Street Department


The Street Department has an extensive Forestry program. This includes tree trimming, removing beehives from trees, and removal of diseased, dead, or dying trees within the City’s right-of-way. We also coordinate tree plantings and maintenance, including watering, mulching, and fertilizing, of downtown area trees.

Tree Concerns & Complaints

Residents with specific complaints or concerns regarding a street tree growing in the City’s right-of-way may request that a tree be evaluated. Evaluations are conducted by the Street Department at no cost to the resident. If you would like a tree evaluated, please call the Street Department at 586-469-6847.

Tree Planting

The City of Mount Clemens contracts periodical tree plantings to replace trees that have been removed from the City’s right-of-way. If you would like to request that a tree be planted in front of your home between the curb and the sidewalk, please call the Street Department at 586-469-6847.

Tree Permits

Residents may also plant a tree in the right-of-way. For more information, follow the link below or call the Street Department for more information. Tree Permit Form

Parking System

The Parking System is responsible for the regulation and enforcement of parking ordinances within the City’s business and shopping districts. The Parking System maintains meter collections, meter repairs, and parking enforcement.

The City of Mount Clemens CLEMCARD is a cashless way to use the electronic parking meters in our city.

Parking Meters within the City of Mount Clemens

As with many cities in Michigan, Mount Clemens has parking meters located on City streets and in parking lots of primary shopping districts and the downtown business district. One purpose of these parking meters is to encourage people to move their vehicles within a prescribed time period, allowing for a constant turnover of parking availability for incoming motorists like you.

The time limits and prices for meters located in Mount Clemens vary depending on their location. The parking rates vary from two-hours to ten hours at $0.50 per hour to $1.00 per hour. A sign is posted on each meter indicating the rate for that meter.

Parking Enforcement is in effect Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with the exception of holidays. All electronic meters in Mount Clemens accept nickels, dimes, quarters, or the CLEMCARD.

Parking Lot Locations

LOT A & B:Roskopp Municipal Parking (Red Lot)

Short term (3 hour) and Long term (10 hour) Metered Parking

$0.50 per hour (Permit parking available)

LOT C:New Street Municipal Parking (Blue Lot)

Short term (3 hour) Metered Parking

$0.50 per hour ( No permit parking)

LOT D:Market Street Municipal Parking (Green Lot)

Long term (10 hour) Metered Parking

$0.50 per hour (Permit parking available)

LOT E: Union Street Municipal Parking (Purple Lot)

Long term (10 hour) Metered Parking

$0.50 per hour (Permit parking available)

LOT F: Towne Square Municipal Parking (Yellow Lot)

Short term (2 hour) and Long term (10 hour) Metered Parking

$0.50 per hour (Permit parking available)

LOT G: City Hall or Dedenbach Municipal Parking (Orange Lot)

Short term (3 hour) Metered Parking

$0.50 per hour (Permit parking available)

Street Parking

Short term (2 hour) Metered Parking

$0.75 per hour (No permit parking)

Refuse Pickup/Compost Pickup/Brush Pickup/Recycling  

Refuse can be placed at the curb for collection by 7:00 a.m. of the scheduled collection day.  Under no circumstance is any type of refuse to be placed at the curb before 6:00 p.m. the day before the scheduled collection day.  Household garbage and rubbish must be placed at the curb in plastic bags with a minimum thickness of 2-ply, 1.5 mils, and a maximum capacity of 30 gallons, and must not weigh more than 50 lbs. when full.  Plastic bags may be placed at the curb in a rubbish can NO LARGER than 32 gallons and no more than 50 lbs. per container.  Loose trash in a can will not be picked up by the contractor; trash must be in a plastic bag.

Click here for REFUSE PICK UP SCHEDULE.  The HOLIDAY Refuse Pickup Schedule can be accessed here.

Please remove all containers from the curb before the end of the day, on your garbage day, after they are emptied.  If you wish to dispose of an old, unwanted, and empty can, you may either inform the sanitation contractor or call the Department of Public Services at 469-6847 and make arrangements for pickup.

Construction materials such as boards, paneling, drywall, fencing, carpeting, etc., must either be placed in plastic construction bags or bundled and tied in 4-feet lengths before they can be picked up. Please make sure nails are removed or pounded down into the wood. Bundles must not weigh more than 50 lbs. each. The glass in windows and doors must be broken out of the frame and the glass must be placed in a cardboard box or wrapped several times in newspaper, taped, and then labeled "GLASS". After you have secured the frame from sharp edges, you may place it out with your regular garbage.

Bulk items such as furniture, washers, dryers, hot water tanks, refrigerators (please remove doors), etc., can be picked up on your regular pickup day.  All mattresses MUST be sealed in plastic.  These items must be placed between the curb and the sidewalk the night before or early in the morning of your regular pickup day. Please contact the Department of Public Services at 586- 469-6847 when placing these types of items at the curb with your regular pickup. We will contact the Sanitation contractor and normally the item is picked up within two business days.

Paint cans are not accepted unless the paint is dried and/or solid. You may do this by taking the lids off and letting them dry out for a few days or by mixing cat litter or sand in the can until it is in a solid form. Once they are solidified, you may place them in a box with the lids off so the contractor can see that the paint is solid. Please make sure the box is no more than 50 pounds and is strong enough to hold the contents of the paint cans.

Tires are limited to two per pickup and must be cut in half before they are placed at the curb . All other car parts cannot be picked up by the contractor at this time. Please make other arrangements for proper disposal.

Hazardous waste cannot be picked up for collection. Items such as motor oil, antifreeze, brake and transmission fluids, caustic chemicals (oven and drain cleaners), acids (toilet bowl cleaners, ammonia, etc.), pesticides, old medicines, pool chemicals, etc., are classified as hazardous waste materials. These items can be disposed of through the Macomb County Health Department. For further information call 586-466-7923, then press 5 (the option for Household Hazardous Waste).

Beverage containers that have a deposit cannot be placed out for collection with regular household refuse. Please return your cans and bottles to your local store for a refund or place them in your recycling bin for pickup.

Concrete and concrete products cannot be picked up for collection. If poles are set out with concrete attached to them, they will not be picked up. You may be able to dispose of these types of items at a landfill. The nearest landfill to Mount Clemens is Pinetree Acres. For more information, call 586-749-9698.

There are six holidays that occur during the year when the sanitation contractor will not work. The six holidays are New Year's Day, Memorial Day, July 4 th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Please see the City’s cable channel or log onto our website for refuse schedules during these holiday weeks.

Compost/Brush Pickup

The compost program begins in April and continues through the end of November each year. No yard waste or brush will be accepted from December through March. A special yard waste collection truck will operate in the City during the compost season.

Please do one of the three following things to eliminate yard waste:

  • Compost your yard waste at home.
  • Place your yard waste loose in a 25- to 35-gallon refuse container.
  • Place yard waste in a 30-gallon brown paper leaf bag.

After purchasing your paper bags, use them for yard waste around your home (leaves, garden waste, vines, clippings, and grass). When the paper bags are full, simply place them at the curb on your scheduled pickup day. Compost will be picked up the same day as refuse by a different truck. Your yard waste is then hauled to a compost site where it will be broken down into a useable lawn or garden product.

Yard waste will also be accepted in 25- to 35-gallon refuse containers marked “compost” or “yard waste”. Please do not mix garbage in these containers. All yard waste must be placed in the containers loosely. Yard waste should not be bagged if it is in a container. You can also compost your yard waste at home. For more information, contact the M.S.U. Extension at 586-469-5180.

Brush and branches less than 3” in diameter must be cut into four (4) foot lengths and tied into bundles that are less than 18” in diameter. Bundles should also be less than 50 pounds. Yard waste can be placed at the curb for collection with your household refuse by 7 a.m. on your regular pick-up day.

The contractor cannot pick up any yard waste that is placed in a plastic bag or yard waste that is mixed with household trash. Yard waste bags, bundles, or containers that are more that 50 pounds in weight cannot be picked up by the contractor. Branches that are more than 3” in diameter, logs, stumps, or roots also cannot be picked up by the contractor. Please call the Street Department at 586-469-6847 for proper disposal information of these items.


Your help in keeping our neighborhood streets clean is appreciated by us and by all of the residents of the City of Mount Clemens.


Recycling bins can be placed at the curb for collection on your regularly scheduled refuse pickup day. Please place all bins out by 7:00 a.m. Please do not place the bin out any earlier than 6:00 p.m. the evening preceding your pickup day.

Before placing your bin at the curb, please make sure that it is not overloaded. Items need to be secured inside the bin and should not be able to fall out or blow onto the streets.

Items that will be collected include food and beverage cans, clear glass bottles and jars with lids, plastic bags and containers marked #1 through #7, newspapers, glossy inserts, magazines, junk mail, catalogs, office paper, aluminum foil, paperback books, telephone books, kitchen pots and pans, and non-waxed coated cardboard (including cereal boxes, tissue boxes, etc.). Large corrugated cardboard (such as moving boxes, etc.) must be flattened to 2' x 2' sections or smaller prior to placing them in the bin. We apologize, but colored glass and Styrofoam cannot be collected at this time.

Please contact the Macomb County Health Department at 586-466-7923 for proper disposal of hazardous waste containers.

Should you have any questions, please call the Street & Sanitation Department at 586-469-6847, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Street Maintenance



Street Light Outages

The City of Mount Clemens has been working with Detroit Edison's Community Lighting group to expedite the repair and maintenance of the street lights in our community. In the event of a street light outage, please call Detroit Edison at:  1-800-477-4747.   Please have some or all of the following information available:

  • A specific street light location (i.e., the nearest crossroads, nearby business, etc.)
  • Whether the pole is wooden or metal.
  • The street light pole number (For metal poles it is located at the base of the street light pole. For wood poles it is located approximately eight feet up the pole.)
  • Details about the outage. (i.e., light off during the night, light turns on and off at night, light stays on during the day, etc.)
  • If the pole is knocked down or any other emergency situation.

Pot Holes

The Street Department is responsible for street surface maintenance. Cold Patching of the roads is done throughout the year on an as-needed basis. Our busiest time of year with surface maintenance is normally in the Spring during the freeze-thaw cycle and after a constant raining period.

If you need to report a pothole, please call the Street Department at 586-469-6847.

Snow Plowing  

This winter during snowstorms, please park your vehicles at an off-street location. Parking in a driveway or parking lot will be greatly appreciated. On-street parking can resume after the City has plowed the streets. Also be advised, in the downtown location, all parking meters are labeled “No Parking 2 a.m. – 7 a.m.”. If you are parked there between these hours during a snowstorm, your vehicle could possibly get towed.

During the winter months, please help us keep our City streets clear of snow by not shoveling or blowing snow onto the streets.

Be sure to use caution when driving in inclement weather. Salt does not react immediately under certain conditions. The lower the temperature, the longer it takes for salt to react. Also, please be friendly to the snowplow drivers and salt truck drivers. They are there trying to make the streets safe for all motorists.

Please keep in mind the Street Department will be clearing all major streets first during a snow storm. We will, however, plow the side streets as quickly as possible once the major streets are clear. 

Snow Emergency Information

Street Sweeping/Leaf Pickup Program

The Department of Public Services takes pride in keeping the City streets clean and free of debris. Beginning in early Spring, a street sweeping truck operates throughout the City until the end of November. Unfortunately, we cannot provide a specific schedule due to unpredictable weather conditions.

During the Fall season, the Street Department schedules a clean-up crew to come down every street at least twice during the season to pick up the leaves that have fallen from the trees. Again, we do not release a schedule due to the unpredictable weather conditions.

Please assist us in keeping our neighborhood streets clean during this Fall season by not raking or blowing leaves onto the City streets.

Traffic Signs

The Traffic Control Division is responsible for placing and maintaining all traffic signs along the major and local streets in the City of Mount Clemens.

If you see a sign that is damaged, missing, or faded, please contact the Street Department at 586-469-6847.